Saturday, May 14, 2011

Busy, busy, busy...

I would call myself 99% back to normal at this point. I still get some fatigue if I really overdo things but I am feeling really good. I've been so busy living life I haven't had a chance to catch up on things here!

Monday I had the much awaited and anticipated post-surgery check up. Dr. Lavery was happy with my healing and said I was doing well. Two pieces of good news: 1) I only need to lose 20 more pounds to be eligible for my Step 2 surgery! 2) I got the green light to go running again.

I'm not sure which made me more giddy, really. I expected him to tell me I needed to lose more than that, so I am happy to have an attainable goal to work toward. I see him again in September, and I should be able to get to where I need to be by then. I did run twice this week--one mile the first time and a mile and a half the second time. I am soooo slow, but I'm doing it so I can't complain. No pain or issues from my guts or the incision, so I am thrilled. The bag is no big deal either. I am so excited to be able to resume something that means so much to me. I start a new cycle of half marathon training next Saturday and I can't wait! I will be training for the Columbus Half Marathon which takes place in mid-October. I would like to run the race and then have surgery the following week...just like last time!

One other point of progress to report: I am expanding my menu a bit beyond the soft diet. I've had lettuce, salsa, and cantaloupe and I'm slowly adding more things. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but there were a lot of restrictions on me for awhile so it's exciting to get some more variety back into my diet.

Today we walked in a Race for the Cure 5K. I was marveling at one point about how amazing I feel! I just have energy and feel so healthy. It is amazing to have that burden of disease and pain lifted off of my shoulders. I also can't believe how great I feel when I run now. I didn't realize how difficult it was to run while sick. I don't know how I did it for so long. I know I still have a lot to go through before this journey is over, but I have no regrets about making the choice to have surgery. My colectomy gave me my life back.


  1. That's so great you're up and running again and especially that Dr. L thinks you're ready! Was this appointment at the 6 week mark for you? Mine is coming up on June 1, it'll be 6 weeks then for me. What is involved at this follow up appt? I haven't talked to their office but one time, seems to me like there isn't much follow up in this critical post-op time. I guess only if there are issues, which thankfully I haven't had anything! Back to running: do you wear any support for your bag, a wrap or what? Hope all is well!

  2. Hey, LeeAnne! My follow up was one day shy of seven weeks. I agree, they don't do much with you during that time unless something happens...but I figure they've done enough of this that they know what they're doing. The follow up appointment wasn't much as far as the doctor was concerned. He checked out my incision (well, now scar really), asked some questions, and then waited for the stoma nurses to come and take the appliance off so he could see how the stoma was doing. Then he left and the rest of the time was the stoma nurses. The one nurse (who I had while I was on H51) was training a new one, so they took the appliance off, cleaned up, measured, cut, and applied a new set-up. She let me ask any questions and stuff and that was it. So, make sure you take a set of supplies. I actually took along two sets so I'd have one for their change and one for any emergency. I hope you are well!

  3. Oh, as far as running goes: I am still experimenting to find the best set up. I normally wear one of those maternity type belly bands, but I was trying to work something else out for running that wouldn't be so hot. So far I've tried compression shorts (bag between underwear and shorts) and a running short with built in brief (bag between underwear and brief)and I'm thinking neither is really ideal. There can be some shifting and then the pointy part of the tail pokes me in the leg. I don't think that's going to go well over the course of an hour or more run!

  4. Okay, the appointment sounds okay. I am flying this weekend, a short like hour and half flight, but still a little nervous with the ileo and all. I do however believe the experience will be a million times better than trying to fly with UC! I've read lots on healing well and various sites, so I'm ready.

    I bought a wrap, like your belly band, I'm hoping to try it out this week as it finally might be to the point where I can stand anything that tight or compressing me all in. I'm exciting to be following a few weeks behind you and back to 100% in no time!! Take care!